Sunday 24 October 2010

Death by Gramsci

One of the things that shook me a bit about the students intro to university life was a talk by one of the tutors that explained how most of them would most likely leave their partners by the end of the degree.


The degree she explained was such a life changing thing that they would not be the people they were now at the end of it and they would have dumped  the person they were with now as a result.
.

I must say that this wasn't the best bit of news I got that week and was right up there with someone coming down the drive saying they are taking  my Green Goddesses back into government ownership would have been.

But anyway the weeks have rolled on and we have had many a day and I have been furiously reading books and papers and delving the depths of theories and things I had not looked at for years and years.

Last night, it was middle of the night, about 3 am and she woke with a start. "Ahh", I thought "she loves me and she has woken to make......"

She was out the bed like a greyhound out of the traps. Downstairs and "got to write this up while I am still thinking it".

Back to bed she came and maybe..... No, she had to get it into her online journal.

Student had to send in an essay plan: completed in the car as we drove to Daycastle last night.  Then she had to send in a sample of what is likely to be in the finished article just so they can be sure she can write.

This  involved serious digging through the books archive here.

(one of my next jobs is to turn librarian, sort the social science and social work from her huge  crime fiction list and my big collection of anorak manuals.)

There are books open everywhere with quotations underlined  and pages marked.

This week we have done reflection, critical thinking. Essay planning and everything.

My brane hurts.  

I know the truth now, it's not the students who leave their spouses.

Their spouses are hegemony'd   out and throw them out.

R









No comments: