Friday 4 February 2011

the big society - hey I like that idea

Lets be fair to the Cons, I buy into the idea of a big society where we all look out for each other.

But that isn't their big society - we pay tax  the chancellor doesn't.


Conservatism is built on that.


We had a village meeting this week where we looked at a proposal to build 20 extra houses in the village.

Of course to build the things a developer needed to be found and as it happened there was one in the room. This chap was full of enthusiasm but had a reservation or two about the requirement for social housing. One was blown away by the horror stories of hellish tennants bussed in from far away and my were these people horrendous. Now from his point of view I can see where he was coming from. He builds an estate of ten houses and sells 8 of them for the lovely jubbly market rate then has to sell two of them as "affordable housing" at 30% less.

The terrible people who live in affordable housing were described to us in vast detail, sat quietly at the back were  young local people who could not affoard to buy a house and were most likely to be forced out of the area.  The builder had much support, especially from a fellow who had moved from Birmingham who said he would not want people from bad areas displacing "local" people like him.

The housing problem in rural Wales has long been those from away with access to greater economic resources displacing the local people and competing them out of the housing market. Obviously these people want to perpetuate that scheme. I can't say much as I moved here myself moved to the house where my mother was born not far from the churchyard where she lies with 6 generations of our familly.....

The student, all loaded with equal opertunities anti oppresive practice with a spot of anti racism blended in was quietly fuming.

I had to throw my spanner in their works, I said that  having social housing next door does not guarantee an ASBO holder, just as the house next door selling for half a mil will not guarantee you don't get the neighbour from hell.....  

Time to go down the pub I thought, new landlords, a charming young couple trying to make a living in a small Welsh village.

R

No comments: