Monday 5 October 2009

Just call me Prof.

First go at teaching in 15 years.

Social work students are just so inspiring and the new breed are so bloody bright.

Not that there are not very clever, focused and committed people in SW today, just that are a lots of others too.

It was great being there with people at the start of their career, I hope they will still have the vision and views they had today 20 years on.

Then again, there is still a lot of the person I was 20 years ago here today.

I hope they can keep that too.

Sometimes things could not go better if you planted them. Knowing I was there, a family friend crashed the lectures and I had to ask her to leave as a scenario that was about to be presented to the students was about someone she would quickly recognize.

And some of the information, she would not need to know, of course this meant that as the students got to grips with the very complex situation presented to them they knew this was the real deal. This was not made up, possibly their first contact with a proper case and a real set of lives.

They read the notes and there was a horrendous jangle, someone had dropped a pin.

They were simply great, too good, some of the things they asked made me think; "why didn't I think of that?"

I have been on a hell of a high today, I am now feeling a bit drained and wiped.

Back to the thankless daily grind tomorrow

Early night tonight.

R

1 comment:

Tina said...

Lets just hope and pray just a teeeny weeny bit may sink in and stay and come back to help someone in the real world too!
Well done Prof!