Friday 5 September 2008

Endings.

Today i did one of our annual rituals.

I lit the Aga.

Now unlike previous years I took the thing to bits and cleared everything rather than just light it and coat the house with soot.

But as I did that I was aware, old Wyn the plumber who came out here and did the job I did, and then told me that I knew how to to do it now and don't call him again to do that again.

But, I suspect, I will never pull the bell out of our lovely aga again.

Someone bought that, it was their pride and joy.

It was theirs in about 1930.

Now pause

When did you change your cooker last - quite.

Agas are cookers you buy, put in, and leave as part of you that is part of here.

Others decide if they are going to pick up the banner

People love them or hate them

We have sold this house

Today I serviced that aga for the last time.

I could of course take it with me but I will not.

This aga belongs to this house, just like the range she says we are buying belongs o our new home.



R

No comments: