Tuesday 25 September 2007

quilts

We live the lives that we lead.

Often because of how that life has been but always because of how we have decided to attach meaning to life.

The glass is always half full except when you looked and chose to see the empty part to the exclusion of everything else.

I am not going to send you to sleep reading about mine, unless of course you are an insomniac and I will mail you personally and send you off in about a nanosecond.

However, this last few months I have succeeded in making mine more interesting for me and probably overturning not rocking a few other boats. And I hate to have overturned those boats but I hope I can make it seem worth the swim.


But last night I went to bed and I was cold, in fact yesterday at the end of a long process; I realised that I have slept a lot of nights in the cold.

They were nights when this lovely warm quilt was there for me but I chose to leave it at the end of the bed.

The reasons were valid reasons, totally mistaken but valid to me.

That was because the patchwork quilt at the bottom of the bed sometimes felt wet, or sometimes dirty or sometimes yes sometimes that quilt, or at least some bits of it were not to be trusted and might and even and did hurt you.

Yesterday, and goodness knows why I had a moment where I felt really ready to pull on the quilt and I slept well.

Because earlier in the day I had a moment where not for the first time I felt a need no not a need an urge, to jump out of bed and leave the house and it was the thought of that quilt going to waste that made me stop.

The patchwork is woven of all those who in little bits or gigantic 48 tog duvet patches so big they don't fit the bed; love you.

And this is written to my quilt, it doesn't matter which size part you are when you have a quilt, a hole leaves you cold in a draught and sometimes a little, sometimes a howling gale.

Sometimes as there was for me you don't realise a patch was there and sometimes what maybe you thought was just a bit of blanket is a patch that has a tog of ninety eleven and could power the whole show if they were a one inch square.

I just wanted you all to know you are all important, and to thank you for keeping me warm .

It has taken me 50 years to decide this is a quirky old house and there are a fair few odd bits and bits that need work, but at the end of it I live here and I have the most amazing inspiring and humbling quilt on my bed don't think I will be leaving any time soon either.






R

1 comment:

T.D said...

my love has always been strong enough to keep you warm and safe