Monday 17 January 2011

Suprises

Well, the student is in sight of finishing her essay, can't be too soon if you ask me.



And Laddo went off on the train back to his father.


Many many  years ago We came to the end of what we felt had been a disastrous placement with a young person we tried all ways but could neither reach nor get to see any sense at all. I was feeling pretty glum and down, a sort of a lets kick the dog moment.

I was going over what had happened with one of the therapists we worked with at the time. This is a model of fostering where the carer does the work with guidance from a therapist The one we worked with was outstanding. I hope if I ever need to talk something  through there is someone like him there for me.

But anyway, I was pretty glum thinking we really had spent a long time banging our head against a wall to no god purpose. He was very direct and said that even when you think nothing is being taken in, something usually is.   

The child screaming obsceneties at you is still listening to the message you are giving. 



I must say I thought this was psycho babble but as time has passed I am not so sure.



Laddo had been really hard work, very challenging and seriously aggressive. Just before he went we were taking about his time here, him me and the student. He said that he felt that most of the time here he had acted like an arsehole (his words). I said no, not all the time, sometimes he had been asleep. Now a few weeks back he would have flown into instant rage.

Instead he laughed he knew it was a joke.

I took him to the railway station and he was looking about him at the scenery and countryside as if he was noting it in his mind. Most of the time he has been here he has not moved all day from inside the house.

As we got to the platform i handed him his ticket, he picked up his bags, walked towards the train paused turned round walked back and said:

"I want to thank you all for everything you have done for me"

Then quickly turned walked away not looking back once.

As that therapist said, you can never be sure that stuff is not being taken in.

Oh and the lad I had originally been talking about? He was removed by 4 burly police officers in a flailing mess of arms and legs. He phones us all the time to tell us how he has been representing former Looked After Children  in conferences all over Europe.






1 comment:

Tina said...

You two do a grand job.
Shame the Social Workers aren't as receptive as the kids.