Sunday 12 October 2008

Someone split on me....

I tried my best, I said it was raining, she said it wasn't. I considered organising some rain but reckoned she might smell a rat when she heard the fire engine pump. Add to that, the only immediate source of bulk liquid was the septic tank and she might smell a bit more than rat, which might have triggered a complex situation that even my significant diplomatic skills might not have managed....

I tried telling her the sun was just a particularly bright ball but she was having none of it.

So today; the chainsaw whirred, the axes swung and the wheelbarrow wheeled.

A huge quantity of wood got processed.

Management says if tomorrow is good then we will be doing even more.

As I said before:

Oh goodie.

But at least as the temperature drops outside it is warm in here.

Keeping an old house warm is a matter of not letting it get cold. The fires are just ticking over. We are using about a barrow full of wood a day to heat a 9 bedroom house.

And our footprint in Carbon is tiny.

That said the price of heating oil has dropped right back.

It is "only" 5 times what it was ten years ago.

R

No comments: