Saturday 25 October 2008

Close encounter with the grim reaper....

It caused certain questions in the garage when I turned up with the square wheeled xantia that she had driven over a curb. Greasy the garagistes curiosity was aroused when he noted that the damaged wheel was on the offside and in this country convention says we drive on the left.

Never one to be held back by such matters the MD had managed to bend the right hand wheel...

Some delicate surgery using tools sourced from a green goddess (beating the crap out of it with a 10 lb sledge hammer) and soon we were back on the road.

Well when I say "on the road" I mean somewhere near the road anyway.

This morning having received the call from the perfect one my step son off we went into town to offer him his usual free taxi service. Management was as always at the helm and in control.

Round the bend towards us came two bikers who were in a big hurry, whoosh they were gone in a flash of colour and a roar of engine.

Clearly the management decided evasive action was needed and she indulged in a series of violent swerves to miss the bikers who were now a mere 500 metres past us and disappearing fast.

The windscreen was filled with views of hedge and a series of other solid looking objects any one of which might well be about to contact the car at any second. There is only one thing to do when it's like that, close your eyes and brace.

Seconds passed and the sensation of rocking ceased, tentatively I opened one eye, then the other. The car was the right way up, roughly on the road and roughly the same shape as it had been when we left the house.

Management seemed not to have noticed my discomfiture and she continued to chat away as we drove into town. I was eventually able to talk again and we picked up the perfect one.

Life with the mistress of all we owe money on is lots of things but it's never boring.

She has gone off shopping with the girls, I did get an invite, but fortunately I had a few other things I needed to do instead; like my laundry.....

2 comments:

French Fancy... said...

Thanks for popping in and agree that doing your laundry is probably preferable to trawling round the shops with a lot of females.

Anonymous said...

In my household it is usually the other way round. I drive, and the management has white knuckles.