Wednesday 30 July 2008

wedding wells

Wedding wells.

There is a long linkage between myself and the druid gorsedd in Brittany. A history that stretches back over half my life to people who are no longer with us here.

The story really is a long one starting with my upbringing in a nominally Christian family in both industrial diverse anglicised South and the organic rural Welsh West of Wales.

The concept God or deity was a bit of an inconvenience to these Anglicans whose conservatism was not always spelt with a small “c”.

My father was quite insistent that I should never be baptised, meaning that to this day no religion can claim me or hold me.

I came across the druids by accident; the first druid ceremony I went to was a ceremony for the recent dead. This was a mind and life changing experience.

I knew of druidry of course, the neo druid movement that gave birth to the pagan republican rituals of the non conformist Gorsedd of Wales were a pure invention of Iolo Morgannwg; seer, soothsayer historian or schizophrenic depending on who you ask. A man who with others reinvented the Gorsedd in the 1800’s a time of extreme social change when as ever millenarian movements tend to take hold.

Trouble was, this movement based on a probably fabricated history has within it a spirituality which had never ever been there for the former head choirboy who in his later years passed much of his time in Anglican Church reading the gentle words of the Koran as the ritual was gone through around him...

Strange, an empty religion steeped in history and heritage and lacking any spirituality contrasts with naturalist religion invented recently drawing it’s roots from a religion about which little is really known, allegedly once practised by “celtic” peoples whose very existence as an entity has increasingly been called into question.

So anyway this weekend past we celebreated the wedding of the daughter of one of our oldest friends at a well in a forest near Nevez. If you search quest france you may well find a report and maybe a photo.. Followed by a lovely civilised wedding party which unlike many I have attended in wales did not result in a fight!

I tried to post a photo on here but the internet cafe and my computer seem to be locked in a war one with the other as to who is going to do what to whoom.

Bloody computers!!!

No comments: