Saturday 19 July 2008

Confession is good for the soul...

They say confession is good for the soul and well I suppose I should confess.

Last Saturday of the afternoon I was acting as duty manager when I was approached by a group of young stewards. They were becoming bored with the verbal taunts and abuse emanating from a gentleman sat round the fire nearby.

Being abused is not part of any ones job spec so I decided it might be a good thing to be looking into.

On approaching the gentleman in question the first thing that struck me was the impressive pile of empty tins of special brew, a liquid responsible for too much mayhem in society. Secondly I concluded that whilst the lights might be one I was not sure anyone was actually at home.

A bit of a one sided conversation took place which made me actively consider sending for security to persuade the chap to leave the site, this however brought on mental images of burly security guards and children and families alarmed and put off.

So instead of getting mad I got even.

I retained my calm and reason. Spoke politely and did not respond to insults or abuse. I stayed until the point where his girlfriend was totally disgusted with him and walked off.

This was truly a dirty trick.

The poor unfortunate will have fallen asleep some time later and woken feeling perhaps not quite as fresh as a daisy.

With a team of navvies inside his head intent on escape and a digestive tract behaving like an errant chemistry set his ears will have noted a noise. This of course will have been his girlfriend helpfully (so she might think) recounting to him his recent history, misdemeanours real and imaginary will have been recounted in vast and painstaking detail with invitations to reflect on how his behaviour impacted on others.

This debriefing might take several hours and there might be other consequences on the domestic bliss front that might stretch on into a significant future. Just one telling of the tale might not be enough, it might need repeating a few times into the future weeks and months.

Of course, he will not connect any of this to me, which makes the experience the more fulfilling.

As they say:

Don't get mad get even.

R

No comments: