Thursday 17 July 2008

Variety is the spice of life. Sleep is good also....

It has been a truly non stop couple of weeks.

Following the fire engine debacle it was Xantia bound for Cambridge and Homerton University.

I was expected there by 11 am so leaving here at 5 am seemed wise. This saw me arrive marginally late, courtesy of the vagaries and limits on interchanges on our road system. I was faced with a tough dilemma either the keynote speaker or coffee. Tough call, took seconds.

Coffee wasn't too bad, conference was better. Very interesting, lots of little cliques. Everything hinged on how you introduced yourself in a session. So I started off as a service user, then thought I might be a foster carer, how about child care consultant (that one went down well) finally member of the degree Project management committee.

It became clear that "who" you were really affected how they dealt with you.

That aside, it was the most fantastic time and a real jolly.

Haute cuisine it wasn't but a forray into Cambridge was really something of an eye opener for a humble country bumpkin like me.

I can see how Oxbridge graduates view themselves as a cut above. Bet they don't eat in much though....

Anyway the con went on and I did enjoy myself a lot.

Even the trip back at licence losing speeds was little more than a distraction.

Then a gentle run out to Llandovery and the festival weekend.

It's a pleasure to watch children bloom and big D really did that. Taliesin had his own little work crew, they worked all day and partied all night.

Me I stuck with 18 hour days and that's enough for me.

Due to finish on Friday, an outbreak of pillock tied me up till midnight so I got to the real ale bar distressingly sober and just as it was closing.

Saturday, I had another busy day but the music was excellent unlike previous years I know this...

The day went really well, plenty of volunteer stewards, easy peasy.

I was site manager so I just had to breeze round and listen to the radio for problems.

Then came 6 pm and I was sector manager for the gate, that is: I had to be there and, all the promised stewards evaporated.

I don't know why they call me the manager. One man band more like.

This was serious everyone coming in over the fence territory but we rise to this kind of thing and eventually all was calm and sorted.

I even got to the bar by 11 pm so at least I had a pint of proper beer before bed.

Still the camping was fine, we really got our tent sorted and we spent the nights asleep and in comfort.

Monday came and we came home.

The van was quickly unloaded and dropped at the garage, oh yes did I mention next week and off to France and an MOT due..

Tuesday was a day of catch up admin. Well actually no, we should have been over in Melton Mowbray picking up the Transit minibus I had bid on in a tender sale that has so far not figured on here at all...

So yesterday bright and early and with child care sorted off we both went for a thrash up to Colsterworth.

Naturally it was a non consequence free day (yeah right) and we got home at a comendable 9 pm.

Today she went for a Tesc, armed with plastic I went to sort the finals of a contested MOT.

So anyway, I think a sort of calm has descended.

To regular readers, sorry if this is a bit dis jointed but the joints have been a bit dissed this last week.

R

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

saw in Western Mail Smallholder column (Lix Shankland) that her husband (manager, Millenium Stadium)
now has a Green Goddess...only one....so far!

You mean there's more??? said...

I have already written to liz and her husband and I are in touch!!!

Thanks though.

PS how did you find my blog

Rhys