Saturday 7 February 2009

Please someone - a quiet life for me.....

I have sort of watched in wonder as this week has progressed.

Last night I genuinely believed it was over, it was all calming down.

How wrong can one be?

Very, so it seems.

This morning started with a quiet lie in, well no it didn't out of bed earlyish so Gwion could go off for his mates birthday.

Just a simple drive up the drive. Well no, 45 minute later we were still digging pushing revving and swearing.

Stuck, unstuck, reverse a bit drive a bit stuck, dig out drive a bit reverse a bit stuck a bit.

Eventually we got Gloria involved and after a bit more revving stucking and unstucking we pulled the car backwards into the field with Gloria and then with it still on the hitch reversed all the way up the drive.

This left us seriously late dropping Gwion off.

But of course the day was not over, I had been doing secret deals buying a new toy. A range rover classic from which all the bodywork had been removed and replaced by a full roll cage.

This had been clad in flat alloy panels creating a kind of buggy. But not before the chassis had been shortened and the overhangs cut off.

This was a mere 50 miles away and off I went to collect it.

By now management was soaked so the heater was on flat out in the car, well it would have been had the fan not packed up. Still it works so long as you do 70 mph everywhere.....

So anyway we got there and collected the truck in question.

There was a certain minimalist feel to things and various minor features like side windows, heater decent weather protection had all been omitted.

Still I am no softy and off home I set, with management confused and not sure where I had gone.

Still she caught up with me eventually and we proceeded in convoy. Her with an air powered heater and me with well not much. My rear visibility was sub optimal and so of course I did not know it was her behind me.

Naturally this was when yet more snow started to fall. Wasn't that bad, my fire gear shrugged off the weather and was at least acceptably warm.

Well all was OK till the wipers failed coming home along the b road.

Now I am hot on safety, but safety is a broad concept. Stopping a vehicle miles from anywhere in a snow storm is a real safety risk, in a freeze to death sort of way. So I wiped the speed right off and drove along with my head hanging out of the door.

I will confess to having enjoyed things more than this, like being whacked over the head with a mallet.....

Next village, I stopped and cleared the windows. This seemed to work and with visibility I carried on, eventually I got home we left the xantia close to the road and I ferried management down the drive in the beast and the day continued.

By now it was lunch time so it was feed the hordes.

Of course there was more.

Gloria was still at the top of the drive so off we went to fetch the hero of the hour.

This was an ideal time for gloria to run out of fuel. Jerry can in hand we fueled the truck then flattened the battery trying to prime it.

Still it was downhill and with the new beast revving its heart out we managed to get Gloria moving and dragged it till the pump primed and it burst into life.

But of course there was more.

I had just agreed to buy back my old Bedford truck I sold in 1996 so of course there was even more.

Up the drive to move the car, bring the bedford back to it's old home and then up the drive in the monster into the car and take the Grease home.

Meanwhiles we had not been the only ones having excitements. OHH no, Gwions little friends had struggled back to their house through the snow. I arrived back home down the drive just in time to turn the beast round go back up the drive and set off in the car to collect Gwion.

Naturally, the moment we arrived at Gwions mates the blizzard started again.

So we diverted to the chip shop, went home, left the car and decamped in the beast.

Now, this is probably reading all a bit monosyllabic. For some reason I am not inspired, I feel tired - dunno why.

Tomorrow promises more of the same, or maybe less, less works for me...

R

No comments: