Thursday 26 February 2009

Mechanical mysteries.

I am always a sucker for an auction.

It has been a sure fire magnet to put up a sign saying "to the auction" anywhere near one of my regular routes.

I have, in the past bought a lot of stuff at various auctions and much "because it was cheap" gear has arrived in various houses of mine, much of it stayed a long time too.

But anyway that was the old days and these days we have.....

eBay.

Needing a replacement for the IVECO, I was refused permission to bid on a rather splendid armoured Mercedes sprinter on an MOD site and was reduced instead to looking at something more practical.

Spotting an 806 Pugwat on the evil bay I bided my time and at the very last moment dived in and stole it for a pretty good price.

Now, of course there had to be a catch and sure enough there was.

It was cheap because there is a bit of a fault on the engine management.

A real bizarre one, hit 3000 revs and the engine simply switches off. The vehicle slows till the engine is at tickover and then it starts up again.

Progress is a series of jolts and spurts as I drive along with my eyes fixed to the rev counter.

It helps not at all that really the gearing means optimum change point is 3500 revs which drops you nicely in the torque band. Change at 2500 and you are in wheezing asthma land.

Was this a bargain or someone's lemon.....

We shall find out next week.


R

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And I suppose there are simply tons of 806 pugwats (or whatever it is) wall-to-wall at breakers yards, with two EMUs each, going for a song...

Unknown said...

Just twigged what you mean - its a Pegot!