Thursday 4 December 2008

Xantia xanadu - well not quite

With the weather looking like there is going to be lots more of it management and I headed off on firewood bent.

Now normally this is a matter of hitching up my big trailer to the IVECO and heading off. But as management pointed out there is the odd fire engine parked here and there.

Far simpler then to move the transit and try to squeeze through the odd small gap to the trailer.

This of course started very well as the transit, being very low in the ground pressure on ground that was soaked beyond soaked slewed immediately sideways narrowly missing the kitchen in the process.

Selecting a suitably big rope I hitched the Iveco to the transit and with barely any effort the big IVECO dragged the transit out of the way.

Then, on a whim, rather than reverse the heavyer IVECO through the mud I dived into the Xantia and tried to get that into place next to the trailer. This proved easier than expected and then, just to show off I dropped the suspension to low reversed so the hitches were one above the other, then put the suspension to normal meaning it hitched itself.

I was very pleased with myself so very carefully set off. Fortunately the gradient was a slight down hill and therefore the trailer combo came out with surprising ease.

This was all starting to feel dangerously easy. Off to the wood yard loaded up and back we came. The Xantia towed the heavy trailer with surprising ease and of course when we got back home it was far easier manoeuvring a saloon car with trailer attached than the larger IVECO.

Just to complete the show off element, as I got the trailer where we wanted it I adjusted the suspension to "high". Then it was simply a matter of chocking the trailer setting the suspension to "low" unlocking the hitch and driving the car out.


All very trick, now all I need is a dry day or two to get the chain saw out and in action...

And the Xantia heater has started to work again!!!


R

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered when you might notice the fan.