Friday 13 July 2012

G4S

Many years ago I used to work on the door in nightclubs and festivals. It was a uncontrolled free for all that could at times be really crazy.  As a door manager I often walked into situations more concerned about what the people behind me might do than what the people in front of me were up to.

Happily someone saw sense and door work was regulated, I didn't bother signing up because I was off doing other things.

Anyway, the Olympics were coming to Britain and I thought it would be a bit of fun and a chance to use skills I had to earn some dosh.

So anyway, I applied to G4S to do some security work, I got called in for an interview which was 120 miles from here. No worries off I went, the interview went well, they said, because I had so much experience i would be called back in for interview for a team leader post -broken promise number one.

Months went by then out of the blue I got a call on a Thursday to spend a week training starting Monday.

As it happened I was working in uni so it was a no go.

Weeks went past and eventually I asked what on earth was going on, got on a course 120 miles away.

The main trainer lives 20 miles away and I could have done the same course with him a couple of miles up the road.

The trainers were really good, the training really good. In fact I wish someone had put me on a course like this when I started fostering.    

So that was me qualified - just the supervisor course to do then - or not.

Everything went quiet.

Then a week or so ago   I got dragged up to London, basically to collect a bit of paper.

So now I have an access all areas pass for the Olympics but G4S have not completed my security accreditation.  

I am about 500 pounds out of pocket on this project, with not a great deal to show for it.

And G4S doubled their fees just before they admitted they cannot do the job.

Lets make a broader political point here, the private sector were tasked to do a job and they could not do it but they still want to be paid,

Now the public have to pay for the job they did not do and fund getting the job done as well.

In the middle of this were loads of unemployed people who were on the training I went to, desperate to get work and struggling to find five pounds a day train fares when G4S did not evenn have the decency to lay on a cup of tea.

They have been used abused and thrown away, G4S will want the cost of the course back when these people are unable to work.  

R  

 

    

No comments: