Wednesday 5 September 2012

Peace? In pieces.

So the day dawned happy - everyone off to school and college.

The student too gave us a cheery wave and went off for a jolly with her little mates.

I came back filled up the chainsaw, let the joy commence.

My goodness, whatever chain was on the last Stihl I had was the wrong one, that's the only explanation I can come up with. I thought the one that got pinched as powerful - this thing is bestial and scary at the same time. Softwood has to be cut with care lest the power of the saw cause the wood to jump. There were three of us and we processed basically 7 cubic metres of slab wood to fire wood i about 15 cm lengths.

If that sounds a lot, it becomes unbelievable when you factor in we started at 11.30 took a coffee break at about 12.15 and finished at 13.30.

The pile of wood out there is massive, the four cords I brought home yesterday are virtually done.

Of course there is a downside, they are not the only things done, I am done in. It was OK until i stopped then the pain started, nowhere specific,  I hurt everywhere.

I would give myself a treat and send myself down the pub for an hour. Unfortunately Bruce has the van and the student the car so /I have the green goddess. In my weakened state I could not turn the steering wheel on that even if the reward was a pint of beer.

Putting it in  perspective though, we need about 12 2 m bales  of slab wood cut this year.

Working full time with the old saw it would have taken about 16 hours to process. Do the maths and be very impressed, I did the work and I am very knackered.  

 

No comments: