Monday 3 September 2012

A day of strangeness

Today was a very odd day of emotion. Herself the student has turned her eye on my side of the family.

One of my relatives, very laboriously traced my maternal grandmothers line way back through history. Locating them as part of a group of families that occupied the same small area and were buried in the same churchyard for hundreds of years. Around them, existed, no doubt a rainbow of families whose histories were not recorded.

My maternal grandfathers line were largely a grey mist, with some hints of their roots.

Using the interweb, the student unlocked the history of my maternal grandfathers line.

Today I stood at the grave of someone who had been dead 100 years when my grandfather was born.

To get there I passed the grave of the headteacher of my primary school. A school 120 miles from where I stood today.

I could not really understand the warmth he showed me, but then I didn't understand how my family were members of  the same chapel he had been brought up with.

We found the grave of a relative who had been dead 100 years when my grandfather was born. Next to his grave were another couple who died in 1801, could this be his parents born in about 1720?.

To anyone who has not been there, this is a very odd feeling

I walk out of my front door and I know my grandfather farmed this land.

He had no connection to it but his connection cements me to it.

When he farmed somewhere else I could not understand his attachment to the farm next door, until now, turns out his family had once owned it - I wonder if it was them who built the house that stands there now.

R

 

       

No comments: