Tuesday 14 June 2011

What a suprise in store.

The student as I might have previously noted is a bit known for her brisk driving style. She could not get on at all with the 106 something I can relate to, it does take a level of heaving on the wheel to get it round corners that can be a bit tedious. It also has a habit when pushed, of making American car cornering noises that she does not enjoy at all.

So it's joined the 806 on the transfer list, especially after the deal that got cut on the VTR that's sat outside with it's rorty ness slightly curbed by a handful of stove pipe cement (fraction of the cost of the proper car exhaust type putty).

The VTR was a big hit when it first arrived, she loved it, Taliesin, his mate broken down a few miles away, moved several cars to get it out to go to the rescue.

I am sort of thinking though, she has been driving the C5, a lot. The C5 is quite forgiving on the steering, under normal driving very soft really.

The VTR is pin sharp, jumpy even, acceleration is there on the C5 but not the slingshot warp drive reaction of the VTR.

So, I am going to surmise that at some stage she got out of the "sofa" and got into the "rocket sledge" what happened next I will never know but I expect it involved a bit of torque steer, quite indecent acceleration combined with pin sharp steering.

Whatever happened she has been telling me what a nice car the VTR is when you don't push it, and she has become Ms Steady. Ms very steady..,

Today though  things took the turn comedic. I arrived at Bookers and the phone rang, a puzzled voice asked if it was me. That's the sort of question I can answer with reasonable confidence, I'm pretty sure who I am. So, having confirmed that, it turned out a colleague from uni had answered an ad for an 806 in the paper. Phoned the house, been given my mobile number, then having typed it in to the mobile had the phone recognise my name.

Bit of an odd conversation as, over the years, I have punted the odd car here and there. Not enough to be a professional but enough to buy cars through the trade run them for a bit then sell them on for more than we paid for them.

This has worked well, people I don't remember have come to me and said they bought a car off me years ago. Best thing they ever bought, they've had it ever since 1980 starts first time every time it's done 500 million miles and they haven't checked the oil yet, etc etc etc.

Then a mate comes to you and asks you to find them a car, so you do, you sell it to them, for what it cost you, shortly after they come back. They didn't bother to change the cam belt when they should and it snapped 5000 miles later after the engine seized because they never check the oil and someone crashed into the car while it was parked by the side of the road All of which is obviously your fault, and you should refund them the market value of the car if it was pristine low mileage fully serviced and working at the point at which the mud and oil encrusted shed died.

I even sold one person a car, got regaled with all the "problems", so gave the person a 100 percent refund then got held to ransom after  I sorted the problems and ran the car for 2 years with no problems.

So of course it was a tricky call.

I could have been sat in meetings for the next five years looking at someone who had bought a car off me which had exploded on the way home killing her husband and her children

Not for me...

R








No comments: