Thursday 23 June 2011

It's not what but who you know.

As I mentioned yesterday we are being courted to take on a young man who might be a one man demolition team for a period of weeks and I think I might have hinted that I was underwhelmed by the show so far.

This morning the phone made noises and a senior manager was asking to speak to us in person about the case, he knew lots about it, he had read the file and really wanted to share all he knew about the situation.

The voice on the phone was instantly familiar, though it was no longer the person under siege, trying to get a young person and his whole family out of town because he was up his neck in merde, had a film crew following the young persons every move and senior people in the council suggesting things courses like  sacking  him for running a service within the budgets they had voted for..

In that case about ten years ago, we hid a family from the media till all had calmed and probably saved his career. Not sure what it did for the young person but he was a lovely Jack the lad type so I bet he  is doing OK.

So when it came back up the line that this family in West Wales were prepared to take on this young person for 6 weeks - yes I have at the back of my head that might be a smoke screen for "get him out of here for a couple of years", the maager recognised the names, was prepared to stop his day and get on the phone to us, in person.

I don't think it should be like that but - there we are.

We have mums phone number and, regardless of the boxes filled with ticks we are going to be getting it from the horses mouth.

Or in social work speak we will be doing an assessment and the people who are doing it are ones we trust - ourselves. 

I am a bit clearer, this is not a family unknown to the service but I still don't get any answers as to why  oh why they are not throwing the money at keeping the young man home.

Then again that's just me kicking against neo liberalism again, why should I advocate for something that is likely to be appropriate, effective and deliver a good outcome when I can have something that is profitable for me.

This is the model we are being asked to work to, take the money and run.

Munro is proposing something sensible, what we will get is most likely not.

R



No comments: