Saturday 2 April 2011

Saturday nights all right...

I am sitting here with a nicely chilled sur lie at the end of a typically quiet and uneventful day.





No I am not even going to suggest it was uneventful those sort of days don't happen to us. Morning started fairly simply with plenty of waving axes about. I had processed a surprising amount of wood when came there demands from the student that I attend as a mater of some urgency the utility room.


On arrival the problem was pretty obvious, there was a real danger things might float away on a worrying amount of water that had to be coming from somewhere.  



Lots of mopping and swearing had the floor dry enough for me to work out the pipes were all sound but the boiler on our old central heating unit had decided enough was enough and the water had eaten it away.


To be fair the thing has delivered sterling service, installed in 1998 and it has only gotten a bit temperamental the last couple of years. The boiler was a monster, for the need we had back then and I remember it saved us a fortune over the previous coal fired system.


Now we are back into using solid fuels, wood that is. So it's looking like we are going down a route of putting in a hot water tank. 


But of course while I was out there, she pointed out the tumble drier is not working properly as in the drier was not tumbling. Obviously a gone belt then, so being all green I decided to pull the thing to bits and change it.  As ideas go this was not the best and soon the  living room was filling with bits of dead tumble drier.

If anyone sold a car with a drive belt as hard to change as that on the average tumble drier, they would be buried in lawsuits in the first year.


Eventually I did what the manufacturer hoped I would do I said a phrase that rhymes with bucket and went off to Comet, spent some money on an ex demonstrator model with a really keen sales person. I am a bit of a sucker for sales people, I was a sales person a while back so I will often reward people for doing it properly.


What on earth we are going to do with some squidgy balls to go inside the tumble drier I don't know. It was a cracking sale pitch though, she milked us for every penny she could. Then afterwards admitted she had applied to university to be a paramedic, a profession based on caring for others not screwing them for every pound she can. She would be a brill paramedic or dare I even think social worker.

She has been turned down by 5 places to be a paramedic, I hope she finds somewhere to take her soon.

But back to the here and now. The student has been rehashing one of the computers for Bethan and it turns out that while she had to do very exotic things, well beyond me on various applications, she was not required to do basic cleaning and defrag stuff, things you need to be able to do.

So while she could make a stonking powerpoint she cannot clean a computer up.

Hells teeth this is a seriously pointless diploma.....



 


3 comments:

gz said...

The squidgy balls DO help cut down the static and things getting in knots.....and they don't stay sqidgy!

Please Visit Me said...

Please Join me at Positive Thoughts and see the POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING within you. God bless you.

You mean there's more??? said...

Strewth, I'll have a pint of what he's been drinking, it obviously works.....