Tuesday 12 April 2011

Living with the student

There are times I will confess that living with the student is not easy. If things are not going well then she can be quite difficult to manage. Now I should immediately change that word, I don't actually "manage" the student, but I do hide, a lot...

Of course there are other times when she thinks she has done something rather clever and those are the very worst times of all!!!


She has come home all chuffed and pleased with herself. The day has gone well, the team leader wanted her to consider going to work for this agency when she qualifies. I can't say exactly what she did, but it seems as if she was meant to be there. She went to a meeting where all our experiences enabled her to make a big contribution.

She is, on a scale of 0-10 sitting at about 15. She is reflecting on her practice and writing it all down.

In actuality I feel a bit jealous, the place she is working is the sort of place I would love to work. But hell I don't have a diploma in computing and

My day was not too bad, got a good grip on getting the mower back together. Putting the engine in is definitely two person job. I was trying to re fit the brackets that hold the engine on from underneath where of course they tend to fall if you are not holding them from underneath as you lower 30 kilos of engine on them from above. Yes it was great fun and i will be very happy if i never have to do it again.  Well actually no, thinking about it with hindsight had I nipped in next door and grabbed the builder I could have done the job in about 2 minutes which is 158 minutes shorter than the job actually took. I ended up with sets of mole grips attached to the thread of the brackets to stop them falling, sitting the engine on top, then holding the bracket with one hand as I removed the mole grips whilst tilting the engine forwards with my head. Did i mention the front bracket is behind a big drive unit that means you have to work your hand very carefully through some small gaps to get to hold it whilst your other hand is reaching round the engine to get to the grips and the cylinder head impresses funny shapes in your forehead.

Ah yes and of course once the bracket was actually in place you needed to get nuts on the top which of course were just out of arms reach - oh how I laughed..... 

The rear bracket being far more accessible would of course be far easier, well i bet it would be if the front end was not already held in by another bracket - no way I was taking that off after struggling for hours to get it in.

So all in all, quite a day.
 
But lets be positive, it's nearly in.   I just have some linkages to sort and I need a drive belt that I can get in the morning.

All I need is good weather - ahhh I see a problem on the met office website.

R




No comments: