Friday 6 March 2009

All action auction.....

So yet again the auction came around and management was off on manoeuvres. Well actually I was dragged along as well in a vain hope of keeping things somewhat under control.

Fortunately there was a decided shortage of items for sale and even better there was a real absence of people both ordinary punters and dealers. The place really was empty.


Things should have gone for buttons. It would not be right to say that was true, prices were like house prices, all over the shop. Some things have held up really well and other things notably furniture was being given away. In perhaps the clearest evidence of all of a downturn, some dealers had put stuff into the auction, clearly intent on shifting stock that was just not selling.

Management set her heart on some rather nice dining chairs, in this calm market they would not go for a lot and matching chairs would be great to have in the dining room instead of the current hotch potch. So up they came and the first bid was double what she had intended as her max.

No new chairs any time soon then!!!

She seemed a bit down, she has come to the conclusion she has very expensive tastes, this is very puzzling, I think she must be a slow learner as I had worked that out a long time ago. I didn't actually say that, I am famed for my diplomacy (or was that survival instinct?) and I thought it best to say nothing.

But all in all not a bad day, it's her birthday next week and remembering how much devotion she gave to getting me a Xmas corkscrew I did not hesitate: I got her a Spong meat mincer, a proper metal one not the modern plastic toys and it was a whole pound too.

Her little eyes misted over, she was getting all emotional again. She says she cannot wait to try out the mincer, and she knows exactly what she wants to do.

Something about how she said that made me just a little uncomfortable but I am sure the feeling will pass....


R

3 comments:

Tina said...

Sounds like the auction was a let down...I'll stick to watching bargain hunt then!
My Birthday next week and I think you have one up on David as I dont think he has even remebered its this month!
Happy Mincing T!

Unknown said...

You could get her a left handed corkscrew for birthday see ebay 350132237481. First time I came across one of these was at a friend's New Year party, when he tossed it to me and asked me to open a bottle of wine. He expected to have a good laugh, when the corkscrew just wouldn't go in, like he always did with anyone else. I realised it wasn't going in, and just assumed that I was so drunk I was turning it the wrong way, so just turned it the other way round. He nearly fell off his chair!

Anonymous said...

This is certainly true, you showed some remarkable diplomacy there. Indeed, happy mincing!