Saturday 20 October 2007

A motoring epic.....

Well the great Bedford parts sags continues......

Bright and early Thursday evening off set no one son Taliesin and me for Manningtree.

The trip up was an uneventful drone up the m 4, 25 11 and onwards.

Eventually at a bracing 1 am with the mist dropping and everything starting to freeze we rolled up. This was exactly what I needed whilst still suffering full the blown bubonic plague she has just downgraded to a slight cold mainly because she has recovered.

I found a convenient nature reserve and down we put our roots for the night.

I have slept in colder conditions, not sure when, but I must have.

The dawn arrived and through the ice locked windows I was able to take in the nature reserve which seemed to be a place where people were invited to sit next to the river and admire the nettles and brambles.

Morning of course means coffee and yes I remembered the stove, yes I packed the matches, water there was too, unfortunately kettle.........

We are nothing of not ingenious and soon the frying pan full of water was boiling merrily.

Coffee consumed bacon cooked and having been given a quick wipe whilst warm, I was soon ready to go with the next batch of coffee. it didn't taste too odd either.

On to our destination and unfeasible amounts of gear went in the van and it's huge trailer.

This in turn meant a departure at 12.30, plenty of time for the trip home one would have thought.

One of course thought without of vagaries of our wonderful motorway system.

The traffic thickened about 8 k's short of the M4 and then stayed congested pretty much the whole of the 130 miles to Cardiff.

Unbelievable!!!!

So it was I got home at 11 pm last night.


Up bright and early and the van reversed into the field with the trailer attached vanished right up to the axles.

Time to fire up the fire engine and with a green goddess on the front out came the ensemble and in I wend to a second go.

Eventually the trailer was empty and lunch ready so out we came and spent the afternoon unloading lots of pure unobtanium destined to make me rich on the evilbay.

Well, in my dreams...

R

No comments: