Thursday 4 October 2007

The demise of GPS.....

Today was have seen the last straw. The demise of GPS.

Over the last few years I have grown increasingly to depend on the GPS system of navigation.

There has been the odd glitch.

The odd trip up what were essentially green lanes having told the Damn thing I was definitely in an IVECO not a camel trophy land rover.

A memorable trip over a Welsh mountain in a rig that was about 50 foot long which mainly consisted of hairpin bends we made simply because the hedge pushed the trailer sideways as we turned them.

The occasional observation that roads, experience has told should be avoided are considered the "way to go" by the squawk box on the dash.

But today was the end.

I have been going from West Wales to Manningtree regularly in the big white thing and trusting myself to the squawk box to get there.

Early on I had decided it's A11 fixation was not good but today it excelled itself.

Got to the end of the M11 and, just before the M1 junction everyone parked up and it stayed that way.

3 1/2 hours after leaving Colchester I got to Reading services.

By then the will to live had gone.....

Lucky the IVECO is an armoured car with no opening windows though, the GPS would have been out the window.

I got home at 11 Pm having driven up the drive at 7.45 am.

Tomorrow I am going out to buy a proper real time, piece of hardware - a map.

Rhys

No comments: