Saturday 8 June 2013

Fire in the Mountain Festival

It's not like me to break cover and say explicitly where we have been or what we have done.

 A week ago we were at the above festival and what a good one it turned out to be. For a start it's not some commercial mega operation, 1000 tickets get printed and that's it. So it's not pack em in till they squeak.

It's also run by humans not people out to squeeze every last penny out of you. The festival food is not a series of dodgy burger vans and overpriced noodle stalls. There is a communal kitchen which conjours up meals sourced from local sources. They had a festival pig, reared on the site slaughtered locally and the meat went through the festival. £5 bought you a decent plate of food, I was getting by on one meal a day, and I was working there.

This year a weekend ticket was 80 pounds for which you got: bands all night Friday, bands all day and night Saturday, bands all day and night Sunday. 3 whole days - it was stonkin. Thursday I did a 12 hour shift which meant that by Friday night (12 hours more) I was ready to sleep. My head hit the pillow and a band started on stage, they sounded good so I got back up and had a listen. They finished and I went to bed, only the next band was pretty damn good too, well worth sitting up and listening to. So it went on, at 3 am I eventually went to sleep as the very lively jam session in the cafe tent was far enough away to ignore.

I worked Midday Saturday till 2 AM Sunday, finished work and went for a pint in the bar. Did I mention the bar? £3 a pint and 28 different real ales taped over the weekend.

 OK so when the festi finished I was on my knees in a way I had not been for about 20 years. This year it was a festival I had never heard of, next year it will be a festival not to be missed.

R

No comments: