Sunday 20 March 2011

Greetings from a duck.....

Tonight, there will be people out there on the road off their heads on drugs, the police are out there, blue lights primed to chase them home from the pub and quite right too.

There will also be people out there really not at all fit to drive, but these will not be in any sort of trouble or at risk of a pull. These though will have been prescribed  their drugs from a person at a desk and got them from the Chemist.

There are a whole raft of things out there the doc can give you that will affect your driving at least as much as a couple of sherbets at the local.

Diazepan springs to mind as it has a mechanism of action very similar to alcohol.

Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory are another. The drugs you might get, for example, if you get gout.

I mention this solely as, this morning, I left here and drove along the bottom of the valley, most impressed by the shapes forming outside the window but not really in any state to be steering a ton of metal at 40 MPH. Having a reaction time measured in hours. It may have said "driving reactions may be impaired" on the box but it would have taken a good few glasses of wine to get me in that sort of state.

With the NSAI's it's more of a roulette than wine. Always they help with the gout, sometimes they make me feel sick, sometimes they come with the thruppenys and occasionally with not much by way of warning they make me think I might be a duck called Timothy.

I try to avoid taking them if I can.....

R     

1 comment: