Friday 16 November 2007

Who needs children in need....

Every year here in the OK we get a serious outbreak of charity.

Children in need.

Now, per se, looking out for each other is not such a bad thing, in fact life would be a damn sight more sensible.


But is children in need about children or need for that matter.

I really really wonder what purpose these things serve.

Personally, I have worked with needy children for a rather long time.

I am not sure that having a beano fest once a year for which sir tel probably gets paid a fair whack is really helping me do my job.

I would go further, not a penny that I can remember has made it to me.

Then lets go a bit further, I would not really want charity money because someone is ready to give it.

I think i would rather have money because I need it to do my job.

And often I really need it to do my job and I can't have it.

That makes me wonder.

What we know about donations to charities is that those with less tend to give proportionately more.

What we know about tax is that those with lots object to paying anything. But will argue, at the same time that the tear drop benefit fraud is a blight on the sea of tax evasion.

We need to develop real and proper mind sets.

Kids need, they have.

Whats so hard about that?

Children in need is about the rich encouraging the less rich to feel good about giving money to a fund which might eventually give the money to children who need it.

How about a different approach:

From each according to their means to each according to their need.

Simple and might even work .

R

No comments: