Monday 19 November 2007

Lovely days

So with the weather on the business side of brr, it was outside and up firing the chain saw.

Loads of waving it about later and we were left with an impressive pile of wood.

I find the chainsaw is particularly good just after a planning meeting or a particularly idiotic phone call from some well meaning agency.

But I digress, naturally you cannot burn the wood as it comes from the chainsaw, no sir it needs splitting.

This is where the Green goddess excells, about time my green goddesses made it into my blog.

They come with a serious amount of kit most of it dating from the 1950's.

This is so much better than having modern tools.

This wood is seasoned oak and splitting it is so much easier with these old tools than the modern stuff I have.

My particular favourite is a little fire fighters hand axe by Elwell, this is a wonderfully balanced little device. With this in hand and backed up with a full size fire axe and a sledge hammer we made short work of the wood.

Getting oak to light is a bit of a struggle but with both log stoves going the house is wonderfully warm.

R

No comments: