Wednesday 24 October 2012

changing times

 The student has been setting out her dissertation and looking at social policy issues. This has made us think a bit. 

I suffered  an education, despite being at one of the best Welsh schools they barely contained me till my O levels. For all the engagement I had in 6th form I might as well have gone down the pub, actually I managed a few visits down there.

This is not to write off the teachers or me, the connection just didn't happen.

Despite this I left school and walked into my first job, then some years later walked into my first  house.

But by 21 I was living on my own. What a disaster married life was for both of us. 

My children: Bethan at the same age seems even more at home than ever, Branwen is up in Aber being a student.

At least Taliesin has moved out, he is in a caravan 100 yards away from here.   

For young people today the certainty of employment has gone, with it the possibility of true independence.

Wealth or the chance of gaining any has evaporated. For this generation scraping together everything they have to make a deposit on a house, then spending 20 years servicing a loan secured on it has gone. They are simply going to have to burn money on rent and be left with nothing at the end.

Wealth is moving into fewer and fewer hands - just as Marx predicted.

R

 



   

No comments: