Monday 8 October 2012

I've been driving in my car....

The lack of VW has rather put me in the driving seat of the little VTR a lot recently.

For those not into cars Citroen dropped a rather lazy and softly tuned 1600 cc petrol into their smallest saloon car the Saxo about 10 years ago.

The combination of small car and big engine produced something of a pocket rocket. It's also an all wrong combination of power and chassis, push it and the car is overwhelmed by the torque and power under the bonnet.

Put another way it's lots of fun to drive.

It's also a delight to drive as the total over supply of torque makes it a very lazy car. Waft it along and it wafts.

Unfortunately there is a serious down side.

I was driving yesterday more interested in Radio 4 than anything else, making a steady 60-70 when cars I had passed  would break out from the stream in a dash and make a point of passing me.

4x4 BMW's seem to have this programme built in, overtaking was a personal slight.

The person in the Zafira ended up explaining all to the other person who blasted past in a blue Volvo estate, the one with all the concealed  blue lighting.

This person in a Clio really got personal coming up a steep hill and was really pushing the car to keep ahead of me when I was not trying or wanting to play.

Then we turned off and I had a few miles on a lovely windy B road, it was nice to play and enjoy the car, the competitive bit is the really dangerous bit. That's when people die.

The Saxo VTR is a lovely fun car to treat with respect - funny thing though I reckon our old Rover 214 SEi was quicker over the same stretch of road.

And no one ever called that a fast car.



     

No comments: