Tuesday 6 August 2013

Zero hours, it's a contrick

Unlike, I suspect most of you I have actually worked a Zero hours contract, you might be surprised who the employer was, it was actually a labour controlled authority and this was in the heady early days of community living. The key things here are, I was pretty good at what I did, and there were not a lot of people able to do the job I was doing.

It worked for me as I could do 8 hour shift backing into 4 hour shift somewhere else backing into a 10 hour shift with a sleepover somewhere else 60 - 80 hours a week At something around the current minimum wage,except this was 30 years ago, so it was good money.

What I was paid was set to take account of the fact that I got no sick pay or holiday pay, not a minimum wage based on  an assumption that I get both.

It really worked for me as I worked my derriere  off waiting for the call to say that something "interesting" was in the offing in a few weeks time meaning I would just refuse all offers of work in that time and away I would go.

Also, having skills that were in short supply, those project managers who were in the habit of not treating their staff well, struggled to find staff. Those who had good professional ethics were never struggling to cover shifts.

Last year, in the big sports day I was also on a Zero hours contract.  I worked a good few hours because I simply turned up, not on a roster but they were so short of staff they needed all hands at the pump.

Then their rotas kicked in, I was scheduled to work these hours in this location, except of course the location had been taken off them by the Police. So I was told, these are your hours but don't turn up. I was available to work the hours as they commissioned but they said don't go. Under any form of proper contract I would have been paid, after all I was available for the hours they wanted me to work, their mess up, theirs to pay for.

Zero hours though meant zero pay.

Annoying though as I reckon if I had turned up at the allocation office I would have got as much work as I wanted.     


  

  

No comments: