Monday 13 February 2012

Long time offline

It has been a little while since I posted and things have been a happening here at Penole.

The weather turned again leaving us admiring the non water arriving through the tap. This was a proper pain as burying the pipes in definitive fashion had been suspended to allow me to get and fit some proper pipe heating tape. So there I was with no water waiting for the tape to arrive. As you can imagine I was pretty discgusted by this.

So off we went with a T4 full of water cans to go and blag some water off a neighbour. This was achieved by the division of labour method,she went inside and drank wine, I stood outside in the blistering wind and lugged jerry cans of water around. This is of course where it went really wrong. Forgetting I am now fifty not twenty I picked up two full cans at approx 50 kilos and tried to lug them into the van. This in turn  resulted in a twisted knee which prophetically i thought might generate an issue.

I was proved right and for most of last week I was hobbling around taking various medications I would prefer not to be taking. Things that make you sometimes suspect you are a Gerbil called Tony, not good things to be taking at all.

Add to this a scheduled trip to Brittany last weekend and you have a recipe for discomfort. In actuality it did not go too badly. A drive down to Portsmouth and a hop on the ferry, followed by a lovely meal in a totally overwhelmed restaurant. Then a run down to the house with the squawk box on the dash getting more and more agitated that I would not follow it's preferred route.

Lunch was simply fantastic, 4 courses 11 E. Then it was up to Roscoff and do some shopping in the Leclrec in St Pol de Leon before heading into town in search of food.  By mid afternoon I was in more pain than I was admitting to the student and popping pills meant I was convinced I was an elephant called Louie. This sort of thing was not the most conducive to driving!!

So anyway we went into Roscoff for food and were confronted by an icy blast that chilled you to the bone and restaurants that were not going to open for another hour. The prospect of early loading was too good to miss and add to that a rugby match on the telly and temptation was beyond bearing

On to the ship we went, found our cabin dumped our stuff and went to the bar.  A quick beer and , with fatigue mounting we decided an hours kip would be in order. We had reset the cabin thermostat to a soporific 25C. It was bloody great!!!

So anyway a couple of hours later we roused ourselves to go and see the rugby which was of course cancelled. So we went to eat instead before tasking an early night of lovely deep sleep.

Even then we arrived back here yesterday afternoon completely wiped out.

Managed to watch Wales and Scotland batter it out, could have gone either way but Wales proved the better team in the end.

By nine we were in bed and by ten we were asleep.

It's half term so the only one going anywhere this week is the student who went off at 7 for her lectures leaving her wallet behind. My did she laugh, I am told it was a happy snarling student who stomped through the door grabbed her wallet then stomped back out again.

Me? I am sitting here in front of the fire resting my knee. A tough job I know...



 

No comments: