Wednesday 30 April 2008

Time..... Can I have some more please?

Where do people get the time to blog?

When I first wrote this I set out with good intentions, I would post something every day; god bless us and dream on.

Even as I sat down to write this I was drawn into chatting to someone from Holland that in reality I barely know but through the internet I have exchanged insults with for a number of years.

But, yet again I digress, the thing is this last few weeks have been a whirl. The kitchen is at last finished, well, no actually it isn't.

Following a blast up the M4 to get the very last bits we needed, we left IKEA with something it turned out we allready had and didn't need and some doors that were the wrong size something I noticed when I came to fit them...

Of course blasting up up to IKEA has in itself been a bit of a problem after she came home and said there was something a bit odd about our Rover 200. Now, it has not been quite right since I took it for a swim in the floods but this was definately more than odd.

Think Red Arrows air display with the smoke on and you are nearly there.

You could either have the car running or see the house.

My original diagnosis had been "injector problem" which I now upgraded to "something serious let go inside the engine". Time to get a new car.

Of course whilst all this was going on, everything else decided to join in. The boiler has not really been cutting the mustard ever since my dear beloved step son "adjusted" it in August. But now it went completely on strike so an engineer was summoned. This in turn generated nearly a whole day at "goodness me" an hour.

But at least with that sorted we could get on and sort the utility room that used to be the kitchen.

The Aga, ahh did I mention the Aga??

That has been pretty emotional since the summer too. An aga is not like your gas stove, it very often does it's own thing. Then again it's even older than me, and there are very few things that are..... The Aga had been on go slow since the summer too, but, get this, when we rearranged the utility room and moved fridges and freezers away it went....

At least that was good news.

The dishwasher decided to join in and sat there sulking an error code. Straight down to get a new one, chose one with a dent and get more machine for your money.

Removing the second washing machine, with 9 of us at one stage we had 2 washing machines. That one went home ages ago but it was holding up a work surface so had stayed where it was so with boiler repaired and the utility room being rejigged we took it away.

What else could go wrong?

We had still to address the transport problem, I spotted a Xantia on eBay and duly arranged to view. Of course buying a car can often be "eased" along by producing a big wedge of cash. I had a figure in mind and duly turned up holding the folding. The vendor, god bless him, declined to deal. So I went home and bought it at auction for 100 pounds less....

Flushed with relief we brought the car home and became aware that the IVECO was spewing water from split water hoses. Oh yes, we have had endless fun.

But we were going to finish the kitchen. All we had to do was fit those skirt panels at the bottom. How to do this was a bit of a mystery and then the penny dropped; all we needed was those bits that she had thrown on the fire because we didn't need them.......

And of course fitting a kitchen has been the real kiss of death to selling the house, not a viewing since.

R

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the compliment of mentioning me in your blog. I am considering buying the house as a return favour. Will let you know my decision asap.