Saturday 11 December 2010

A clash of cultures.

Now of course my dress sense is renowned, I am known  the world over for my particular brand of style and practicality. When clothes shopping I am diligent, making sure no branch of Oxfam is missed and the army surplus website is always thoroughly checked.

I am forever searching for new things for management  and many a gasp of delight has arisen when I ordered some more form the army surplus shop. Well I think they were gasps of delight.

So you can see how this could be described as a high fashion household one into which the new man L is trying his best to fit in.

A key part of his psyche has been to impress everyone around him. A few days ago he announced that he was going to see his dad soon to buy a pair of some sort of posh branded trainers which retail for over 100 pounds and they were likely to last him a whole month before they got damaged. This particular gem being aimed at myself and Big D. I said I would expect 5 pairs for that kind of money  and big D added he would expect a years use out of a pair of trainers and if his were wrecked after a month he would be well unhappy.

Personally, knowing the estate he had been living on, I wasn't thinking in terms of time but distance, as in how many yards he would get from his front door in a set of designer trainers before he found himself sat on the pavement in his socks!!! 

Yesterday was a bad day. I know I have said it and said but what is it with social workers and being honest with children? Why do they find it so difficult?  We had worked out before he arrived here he was not going back to his previous carers, it was as plain as the nose on his face. But no, they continued with the myth, then decided he needed to know what was going on yesterday, naturally the social worker was too busy to come and tell him himself, oh no muggins here gets to be the voice of evil.

We had quite a little kicking off session though by the standards of what I have experienced before it was nothing to write books about. Then he decided to take his making himself look good campaign forward another step. Into town he went and bought cigarettes. Of course at 15 he should not be able  to, something the management went into town to discuss with the shopkeeper.....

So anyway home he came and announced he was going outside for a fag, something that impressed no on at all.  Well except Talieisin who called out of the door asking if he was cold enough and was he always as big a  prat as this.

The things that make you look big in one place can make you look a fool in another.

He has a big mountain of learning to climb if he is to fit in here..


 













No comments: