Monday 6 December 2010

Brawd Houdini

One of the things that has affected my life a lot has been music. I have been lucky to be surrounded by people who are dazzling musucians.


Well OK maybe that is a bit strong; I was involved with a Welsh folk band called, well never mind what they were called but they fell a lot short of brilliant. Perhaps I will write about them one day, but, in about 1977 I met a guy called Meic Stevens. Unless you are some sort of serious hippy type you will know nothing about him, did an album called "Outlander" with Warner back in the 60's, breathtaking album but it bombed and ever since then he has been active on the Welsh language scene.

Meic is a huge talent but one that never fitted the "music industry" mould.

He has decided he now wants to go and live in Canada (don't ask me why) and this Saturday he did a going away gig, in a village hall close to here.

It was an odd night and I went with the student,  who does not really do Meic and Bethan my daughter who sings and really does do Stevens.

We sat and watched him and it was magical, the guy bleeds talent.

He writes simple song of enormous complexity, he has been a big part of my life and I doubt I will ever see him again.

But it was a real point of connection for the three of us.

I love the student and I love Bethan

I hope I will see Meic again but somehow doubt it.

I gave Bethan the ticket for the night to keep to remind her of where we had been together when she is old and the student and I are gone.

The weather eased a bit and now we are back to brrrrrr

By the way....

R
 

No comments: