Friday 20 June 2008

Fuel poverty

We sat down yesterday and did our sums, we are officially fuel poor.

We haven't checked the price recently but last time we filled our oil tank it was 700 pounds. Electricity is up to 160 pounds a month.

We are not flagrant drivers round but taking kids to school and shopping runs up 500 miles or so every week. The xantia is not quite as economical as the Rover 200, quite surprising that it comes whisker close with the car being a lot bigger and having hydraulics and air con to run too.

It is also some way faster than the Rover and this is where life gets errrr interesting.

You see the management has missed a few lessons on her route to a driving licence. Most people think cars have a throttle she thinks it's a switch.

I would certainly describe her driving as "exhilarating" in that way that a fair ground ride is exhilarating. Think roller coaster where the car is not in any way attached to the track and is perfectly free to fly off at any time.

Add extra excitements like other cars on the track coming the other way, others under the control of drivers who are asleep at the wheel, surround the track with solid objects that would really hurt if you hit them and every second it feels like you might just do that in the next one.

You are starting to get there.

Driving with her is a permanent excitement. Never knowing what type of death is round the next corner, marvel at the miracle that is ABS, a chance to play "spot the gurn" when looking at other drivers, of course you can only do that on those occasions when you manage to keep your eyes open.

I was so glad today our trip up county was obstructed by a series of tourists. Helped me keep my composure.

Yesterday was nothing like though. Yesterday, so engrossed in explaining what I had done to annoy her(not sure what it was, I was being "distracted"), she forgot about THE corner; this is a rather impressive S affair that would really benefit from some camber adjustment, smoothing out and not being on the home route of a group of cows who have permanent dysentery.

The rigidity of my body, the clenched teeth, the eyes like dinner plates she did not notice, no what got her attention was that I did not whimper, of course I didn't I had lost the power of speech!

I love her really, I had to say that, otherwise she would have to take it up with me next time she drives the car.....


R

No comments: